Big Data Algorithms
To introduce data acquisition, structure of bigdata, map reduce algorithms, stream algorithms and applications: search, social network, machine learning, computational advertising, blockchain database.
Important! When you become an expert student, please email TA Tong Yin (email@example.com) and send her your name and topic immediately. After finishing the lecture notes, please send it to TA Tong Yin and you may upload it to WeChat group as soon as possible!
Nov. 22th: New slides for Lecture 9, slides for Lecture 10 and lecture notes for Lecture 8 are uploaded.
Nov. 20th: Slides for Lecture 9 is uploaded.
Nov. 16th: Slides for Lecture 8 is updated.
Nov. 15th: Grading for the midterm exam is done. You can contact TA TONG YIN or XIANG YAN, either through WeChat or E-mail, to ask grade of yourself.
Nov. 15th: The deadline for Assignment #3 is postponed to Nov. 29th.
Nov. 15th: Materials about speed power is uploaded.
Nov. 15th: Slides for Lecture 8 is updated.
Nov. 11th: Slides for Lecture 8 is updated.
Nov. 1st: Midterm problems and answers is uploaded. If you have any questions about the problems, you can contact their designers.
Oct. 28th: Midterm problems from expert students is announced! Remember to email your answers for 5 of them to TA Tong Yin (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 9:59 am, Nov. 1st.
Oct. 27th: More lecture notes from expert students are uploaded.
Oct. 27th: Information about the midterm exam is updated.
Oct. 25th: Lecture notes from expert students are uploaded. Sincerely appreciate expert students!
Oct. 25th: The email address for TA is updated, please send your assignment to right address!
Oct. 25th: Slides for lecture 7 is uploaded.
Oct. 24th: Slides for lecture 6 is updated.
Oct. 24th: Requirement for the second homework is updated.
Oct. 23rd: Slides for lecture 0 to 2 are uploaded.
Oct. 21st: Slides for lecture 3 to 6 are uploaded.
Oct. 21st: Our course website is born!
Any update in this website will be announced in red here. Please check on time.
Lectures: Mon 10:00-11:40am & Web 10:00-11:40am, East Up Building (Dong Shang Yuan), Room 201
Instructor: Xiaotie Deng - SEIEE 3-428
Office hours: by appointment via email or ask after class
Tong Yin - SEIEE 3-524, Email: email@example.com, WeChat: ytong_94
Xiang Yan - SEIEE 3-329, Email: yxghost@sjtu,edu.cn, WeChat: xyanghost
Please submit your assignments (from the second one) in pdf(recommanded) or word to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50% coursework plus 50% final examination
- 20% of your final scores come from 4 assignments
- 1st: Select and complete 5 assignments, 1% each, maximum 5%. Due: Oct. 11th.
- 2nd: Select and complete 5 assignments for 5% in total. Due: 23:59 pm, Oct. 25th. Note that from this time, all your assignments should be handed in through email!
- 3rd: The deadline for Assignment #3 is postponed to Nov. 29th.
- 1 middle term test, maximum 20%
- Expert students assign problems, one for each, and email to TA Xiang Yan(email@example.com) before 23:59, Oct. 27th.
- These problem, may be modified a little, will be announced on Oct. 28th. See the problmes.
- Everyone choose and complete 5 from these problems, as the first part of the exam, and email them to TA Tong Yin (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 9:59 am, Nov. 1st.
- On class of Web. (Nov. 1st), complete determined 2 problems, and 3 from these problems, as the second part of the exam. At the beginning of the class, prof. Deng will show a table on the screen, illustrating which problems everyone should do. After finishing the exam, hand your answers to prof. Deng.
- The problems and answers can be found here.
- Grading for the midterm exam is done. You can contact TA TONG YIN or XIANG YAN, either through WeChat or E-mail, to ask grade of yourself.
- Extra-ordinary work (For A+ work) maximum 10%
- One project leading to a publishable research paper
- Student expert self study: Script one lecture note and give a suitable exam question (not searchable from Internet) with a correct solution.
- Final Examination: Problems given out 24 hours before examination and each redoes it in class. Two parts separately marked and both counted in final examination evaluation.
- Further information about middle term test, project and others will be resleased soon.
Slides And Lecture Notes
- Lecture 0: slides, lecture notes
- Lecture 1: slides
- Lecture 2: slides, lecture notes about median finding
- Lecture 3: slides, lecture notes about convex hull
- Lecture 4: slides, lecture notes about sketch and streaming algorithms, lecture notes about kolmogorov complexity, lecture notes about Misra Gries alg & Morris counting
- Lecture 5: slides, lecture notes about Algorithmic Lower Bound for Data of Fixed Distribution
- Lecture 6: slides, lecture notes from Hongyang, lecture notes from Zheng Min
- Lecture 7: slides
- Lecture 8: slides, lecture notes from Fang Pin, lecture notes from Xin Fan, lecture notes from Zhe Wang, related materials.
- Lecture 9: slides 1, slides 2
- Lecture 10: slides
- You could also refer to the course website of last year for more related materials. The password for those pdf is sjtu2016.
If you have any problem with this website, please contact email@example.com